Gateway
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gateway

Your Paranormal Site

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Sacramento in the 80s

Go down 
AuthorMessage
PaulDaleRoberts

Number of posts : 1743
Registration date : 2009-05-17

Sacramento in the 80s Empty
PostSubject: Sacramento in the 80s   Sacramento in the 80s Icon_minitimeThu Nov 04, 2010 6:07 pm

Sacramento in the 80s
By Paul Dale Roberts, President - Jazma Online!
www.jazmaonline.com

I remember calling my dad from Korea and asking him what is the Arco Arena and what are the Sacramento Kings? Only because I briefly heard on the news in Seoul, Korea about something called the Sacramento Kings. My dad explained to me that Sacramento now has an NBA team.

What? Sacramento, is not a cow town any longer? We have our very own NBA team? Being in the military and being stationed overseas, I kept hearing more and more things about Sacramento. Sacramento was truly growing up. I could only wonder if I would recognize Sacramento, when I would return in 1986.

The only thing that Sacramento was recognized for when I re-enlisted in the Army in 1979 was the horrifying acts of the East Area Rapist. I asked my dad if they ever caught this guy, but according to my dad he evolved from a serial rapist to a serial killer and became the Visalia Ransacker and later the Original Night Stalker in the LA area, where supposingly he may have killed anywhere from 6 to 10 people.

When I got home, I was greeted with fiendish news of characters like Dorothea Puente that ran a boarding house and enjoyed killing her tenants and some guy named Morris Solomon that enjoyed killing prostitutes in Oak Park.

While Sacramento definitely has a historical dark side, but it also has a bright side.

In the 80s, while listening to music like After the Fire - Der Kommissar; ABC - Poison Arrow; B-52s - Love Shack and Kim Carnes - Betty Davis Eyes, our city was growing up. Gorgeous buildings in the downtown area graced the skyline and you would be able to see them as you crossed over the Blecher/Freeman Bridge over the Yolo Causeway.

The nightlife clamored to the 80s beat. Sacramento was finally being recognized for it's sprouting businesses and everything looked good. Spectacular restaurants now graced our main streets, coffee shops opened at every corner and malls became prosperous in various areas of Sacramento. Sacramento was a great place to live.

The 80s are now gone and I feel it was a start for Sacramento's progress and I hope we will gain the momentum once again as we head out towards an uncertain future. Sports events bring people together, we lost the Sacramento Monarchs, but we gained the Sacramento Rivercats and now the Sacramento Mountain Lions. I see fun times ahead. I just hope that Sacramento's economy will also see some 'fun times'.

Paul Dale Roberts, HPI Administrator
aka The Demon Warrior
Shannon McCabe's HPI (Haunted and Paranormal Investigations International)
www.hpiparanormal.net
Managed by Staci Butler, HPI Twitter Account Manager/HPI Senior Lead Investigator
Dark View HPI Videos
http://darkviewparanormal.com/
Chatterbrew!
http://www.chatterbrew.com/
Email: pauld5606@comcast.net
Cellular Paranormal Hotline: 916 203 7503
If you have a possible investigation call: 1-888-709-4HPI

Back to top Go down

Sacramento in the 80s
Page 1 of 1